Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Asterisk


You say you want a girl who's a, b, c.
That it doesn't matter what else,
You just want someone who's a, b, c.

Everyone believes you when you say

"Y'know, in life I just want an a, b, c kinda person. That's it."

It would serve you well to add an asterisk after c,
And when you are done, to footnote the conversation.

It would look something like this
____________________________
*I really want the whole alphabet.
I am not happy with three letters.
I say that's the only criteria for
happiness in my life,
but I really want so much more,
that it's impossible to fully describe.

There's nothing wrong with that.
It's just that she thinks you only want a, b, c.
That you are happy with her because she's a, b, c.

She doesn't know.
Granted, she could just look at your past.
Collect the fragments and figure it out,
But she really likes you.
So this blinds her to your complexities.
She thinks you really like her.
She's a, b, c, and even d, f, g to me.

I shouldn't have to tell her.
Shouldn't have to allude to anything.
She's just your a, b, c.
And when you find an a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k,
You're going to break her.

Breaking a beautiful girl
Ought to bring more bad luck
Than breaking a mirror.

They do not shatter like glass,
They rip like flower petals,
Slowly, and softly.
There is no echoing noise as shards scatter across the ground,
Just a soft tearing sound,
Then a whispering brush,
As all the things she felt falls to the ground.

They shrivel and dry.

God, boys are dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment